Taarfirion

11.20.2008

Ringer Hut

2008.11.20
Ringer Hut [San Jose]
****

While chatting with my teacher all class today about various japanese food, as happens frequently, and in particular about foods I had
 and didn't have in my recent vacation, one example being this Kyushu specialty dish "Champon", she told me about a place near to Tanto Saratoga that served exactly Nagasaki Champon. Being "single" (just for this week) and hungry (skipped lunch), I hopped over after work for a try.

The building looked like it played host to some american chain restaurant, the inside of which was modestly renovated, and all staff looked ambiguously non-japanese though they did greet in proper japanese form as I entered and left.

I ordered the Small Spicy Champon combo with Gyoza, and a side of stewed pork, another famous Nagasaki dish. Incidentally I just found out how to say "Stewed Pork" in Japanese today else I wouldn't have recognized it on the menu (which is written mostly in romanji). 

Champon is similar to Ramen in many ways, being an old import from China, consisting of a pork-based soup and noodles, with additional toppings. The difference is that, well, Champons
 are like little brothers of Ramen. The broth was less rich and complex, the toppings tended towards cabbage, sliced shittake, tiny pieces of pork, small shrimps, and a type fish cake, and the noodle a little less chewy and defined. On the other hand, I was hungry and expectations certainly ran lower than if I was going to Santa, so it was still enjoyable. 

The Gyoza was properly pan-fried, japanese-style, with a pork/cabbage combination instead of the more common chives. Decent but the sauces they provided were a little cheap. The best part though, was the stewed pork. Perhaps not quite so comparable with the vaunted Santa pork, though I would think it'd be hard to tell them apart in a blind taste test. It came 4 large chunks with a stewed egg and a generous hunk of daikon, a very chinese presentation. I thought I'd take some home but I was still smacking lips when I ate the last morsel. 

And when I asked if they ever ran out of the pork, I got a shake of the head like "what's this guy talking about."

So, weird name, somewhat fastfood-ish ambiance, but decent food for a quick meal and perhaps a long-term steady supplier of juicy sweet stewed pork. 

20.56 for 1, all inc.





1 Comments:

  • yummmm.... I could go for a couple bowls of Santa right now. Pork broth this time, I feel so gypped I had thast nasty broth last time.

    By Blogger Andrew GJ Fung, at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home